Dear Brandon,
Happy Birthday!!!!!
I wanted to take a moment after your 30 years on this earth and put into words my best attempt to express my love and explanation of how I feel about you! Is that ok? Life is funny in the way we first encounter each other because we never know what roads we were meant to travel together. I’ll never forget Atkinson elementary in the third grade when you showed up. You were the threatening kid who could play his guts out on the playground and out run all of us. How dare you show up to my territory and act like anything less than 100% was your duty in life! It is funny how that was my first impression and somehow I think it is my only impression till this day.
We quickly became best of buds and learned to trust each other as brothers and teammates in life. You and I have always spoken this language that does not exist in words, noise, signs or even gestures. It has been a language that only you and I can understand. I have spent many of days wondering what that was all about. I don’t know for certain but to me it is our understanding of what “IT” is all about. Actually it is not for me to figure out rather just obey. I feel that our friendship is not to be defined but instead pursued. So, on your 30th birthday I want you to know that I want to be a part of your life for many years to come.
You know I couldn’t write this and leave out the time you wanted to play catch and turn upside down to see what a baseball flying at you looked like inverted! If I only knew, while you were laying on my bean bag chair with ice on your face, that this was going to be a punch line of jokes for me for a long time. Then to fast forward our experiences together I have constructed a few phrases that only explain memories and will not be understandable to the common reader. I list these because of the depth of meaning it has for you and I as we journey life together.
• All-stars…you pick the year!
• Alligator crawling in the creek below your house!
• Crail Farm Road on a bike!
• High school sports, learning what selling out means!
• Spring of junior year off season workouts!
• Undercover missions (even though I never went with you it is the coolest thing ever)!
• The best guilt trips possible!
So as I sit down to write you a letter on your 30th birthday I want to not only reflect on your life but also look to the future. Simply put God has ordained you and called you to a purpose I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams. I am so proud of you and looking forward to being a part of your assignment that God has called you to walk in. I am your biggest fan and am so excited to watch your life manifest into all the purpose God has intended.
I love you man!
Happy Birthday!
Smitty

No comments:
Post a Comment